There is an active shooter at Ft Hood right now. Information is ongoing, but it may be a jihad attack. Yesterday the FBI released information on a young Army recruit who had been posting jihad sentiments on his Facebook page. It was reported that the young man was not a threat. I think Sherlock Holmes would disagree on that point.
From ABC News April 2
FBI and ATF agents are responding to a shooting with injuries at Fort Hood in Texas, federal authorities told ABC News, and personnel on the base have been asked to shelter in place.
A defense official said there is an "active shooter" on the Army post and there have been "some casualties."
A Twitter account for the fort announced "shelter in place" has been ordered for all personnel. The post released a statement saying injuries have been reported, but no further details were available.
President Obama and Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel have been informed of the shooting, according to their spokespeople.
Sgt. Maj. Nicholas Connor, a spokesman for Fort Hood, told ABC News that authorities were searching for the shooter and would lift the "shelter in place" order as soon as they believed it was safe.
"Unfortunately, this is something that we here at Fort Hood have experience with and this is something that is conjuring up a lot of memories of the past," Connor said. "We're just hoping we can get to the bottom of this as soon as possible."
From Fox News April 1 by Jana Winter
FoxNews.com reported Monday that the FBI was searching for a recent Army recruit known as "Booker, also known as Mohammad Abdullah Hassan" after obtaining an alert based on FBI intelligence and provided by the agency's Kansas City division. The alert, which the FBI sent to the U.S. Marine Corps, local police departments and other law enforcement agencies, was titled "Planned Ft. Hood-inspired Jihad against US Soldiers by Army Recruit" and said Hassan had warned his "jihad was imminent."
But although the reference was to the 2009 shooting on a Texas military base in which 13 people were killed and more than 30 injured, the FBI downplayed the threat on Tuesday and said it was not hunting for the man.
“We have interviewed this individual,” an FBI spokesman said. “There is not a manhunt and there never was one. There is no imminent threat to public safety, nor should the public be concerned that this threat exists from an individual at large."
The statement came after the FoxNews.com report, and four days after FBI officials declined to comment on the alert despite repeated inquiries.