Tuesday, November 5, 2013

UK soldier shot seconds after photo taken with Afghan policemen

Corporal Brent McCarthy of McCarthy with a rogue Afghan policemen suspected of shooting dead him and L/Cpl Lee Davies, 1st Battalion Welsh Guards

What are we doing in Afghanistan?  Too many Western lives have been lost...for what?  For an ideology that has never been vocalized and a fight against an unidentifiable enemy.

From the Daily Mail November 5 by Anna Edwards

Pictured with the man who shot him dead moments later: RAF policeman grins alongside rogue Afghan policeman who opened fire on him and comrade

An unwitting British soldier who posed for a photograph with a rogue Afghan policeman was shot dead by him seconds later.

Corporal Brent McCarthy, 25, is pictured with a member of the Afghan Uniformed Police just moments before the shooting.

After the snap was taken the gunman and another accomplice turned their weapons on the RAF policeman.
His comrade Lance Corporal Lee Davies, 27, of the 1st Battalion Welsh Guards, who can be seen sitting grinning in the background of the photo, was also shot dead. 
The pair were unlawfully killed while on active service, a coroner has ruled.
A military inquest heard the pair both died of 'unsurvivable injuries' after being shot by close range gunshots.

Both soldiers were part of an eight-man team who had gone to the Afghan police base in the Lashkar Gah district of Helmand province on May 12.

The patrol had gone there so British officers could meet local police officials with RAF policeman Cpl McCarthy acting as a specialist adviser.

Oxfordshire Coroners Court was told the men had been engaging in 'banter and general chit chat' with what they thought were two Afghan Uniformed Police officers.

LCpl Davies, from Barry, South Wales, had remarked that the Afghan pictured had 'wet himself' and this may have been a sign as to what was about to happen, the inquest heard.

The Afghan national pictured was shot dead by a British guardsman as he tried to flee the scene.

Home Office pathologist Dr Russell Delaney said despite efforts to resuscitate the pair 'there was nothing colleagues, combat medics or medical staff could have done.'

Benjamin Bardsley, the men’s commander at the time, told the inquest at Oxfordshire Coroners Court it was his belief the two Afghans, dressed in police uniforms, had staged an 'opportunistic' attack on his men.

Read it all

No comments: