cartoon1

cartoon1

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Why Did Glenn Beck Shoot Santa Claus?

I am, unashamedly a fan of Roland Shirk at Jihad Watch.  One day, when I grow up I would like to posit like him.  Until then, my meager words can only highlight the detailed and succinct words of this man.  Fawning like a schoolgirl?  Not really, but I do tremble in the presence of his mighty keyboard.

From Jihad Watch Feb 18 by Roland Shirk

Why Did Glenn Beck Shoot Santa Claus?

One thing that's hard to forgive in this world is when you are deprived of a good, old friend by his crazy mate. I remember a close college chum (let's call him Karl) with whom I'd spent long late nights at pubs for four long years, and stayed in close touch by phone for many years thereafter. We saw each other through many a psychic meltdown, and I assumed we'd be friends for life. Then he met "Cassandra," a deeply needy narcissist who played the victim card whenever Karl tried to stand up to her. For instance, when she tried to con him into contracting a purely celibate marriage ("It would be so much more... spiritual!"), he unsurprisingly objected. So she "revealed" to him the fact that she'd been... the victim of Satanic ritual sex abuse, at the hands of her father's motorcycle gang. (Don't you hate when women say that?) His objections melted like a marshmallow chick in a microwave. I bet something else did, too.

Cassandra monopolized all my friend's time, quitting her job (he supported her) so she could follow him to his workplace and wait out in the lobby until he was finished--lest he have five unobserved minutes out of her presence. She also instituted a policy toward all his old friends I called "strict scrutiny." He would remain in touch with his old buds on a purely "need-to-know" basis. Because, you know, they might take away some of Karl's "Cassandra Time." What I remember best from my encounters with the two of them was what would happen when you disagreed with Cassandra--who despite her high school diploma fancied herself an intellectual. She would get this look of profound sadness and betrayal, and stare up at you with the eyes of a brown puppy dog on his way to the euthanasia room. That wounded, child-like, profoundly manipulative stare haunted me long after she forced Karl to add me to the Index of Forbidden Friends (I've never heard from Karl again, and can't find any trace of him. I fear that Cassandra might actually have eaten him.) I analyzed that look, and finally realized what it really was: The look a six-year-old girl would give you if, on Christmas morning under the tree and before her very eyes, you blasted Santa Claus point-blank with a shotgun.

That is the reaction James Rainey of the L.A. Times had to Glenn Beck's cogent coverage of the revolution in Egypt--which was infused, as Jihadwatch readers know, by the many hours Robert Spencer spent briefing Beck's producer about the political and cultural background to the turmoil. If you watched the show, you got to enjoy the fact that millions of Americans were hearing for the first time about the Caliphate, the Muslim Brotherhood, the MB's conspiratorial connections with leading American "moderate" Muslim groups.... For one brief episode, it was as if Jihadwatch had its own show on Fox.

Read it all

No comments: